Light the Tower

Light the Tower

Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Decision Made Mine Easy

"Don't ever underestimate the heart of a champion." ~ Rudy Tomjanovich. Remember those infamous words? It has been sixteen long years since this Rockets fan has seen his team make it to the NBA finals. I've been missing Rudy T. like Texas A&M has been missing RC Slocum. In essence, each team has been nothing short of disappointing since each of these coaches were shown the door, minus a few moments of competitive brilliance for the Rockets under Rick Adelman. That being said, they still failed to advance beyond the Western Conference Semis. Before I digress, let's take one more look at that glorious June night in 1995 as the Rockets secured their second straight NBA title:


Now, we embark upon the culmination of "The Decision." Most of you know, LeBron lost me as a fan that night. My position was and still is simple: if he was staying in Cleveland, then I get it. It brings attention to your city and your narcissistic diatribe is not completely hollow. But, when LBJ knew he was going to be "taking his talents to South Beach," and in doing so stomped on the heart of Cleveland fans who claimed him as one of their own, his true character was on display. Charles Barkley was correct, they are not role models. I do not begrudge LBJ wanting to go to another team and shoot for Michael Jordan lore. Put another way, if LBJ was divorcing Cleveland, did he really need to send them a video of himself with his cheating skank in the sack? A bit much, don't you think?

Shifting to Dallas, they are not as abhorrent to me as the Lakeshow. I am one of those individuals that likes Mark Cuban. I like his dorky facade as well as the fact that he is David Stern's nemesis. Stern could fine Cuban $3 million per season and Cuban wouldn't even notice. He seems like a fun owner to play for and quite possibly saved basketball for the city of Dallas. In summary, the Mavs winning percentage prior to Cuban acquiring the team in the year 2000 was 40%. After his purchase of the team, it is 69%. That is good enough for me.

I would say since the Rockets final playoff push of 1997, the Mavs have been the second best team in the state, behind the four time champion Spurs. In truth, the Lakers are the only team in the Western conference that I actually despise, and the only NBA team where I will literally root for whoever they are playing. Except the Heat. Congrats LBJ, you and you alone made this a reality. My hope is the Mavs win, as the Heat now occupy the title of "Team I Loathe The Most." Well, except for the Oklahoma Sooners. Hook 'em Mavs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Longhorns Football 2010 Summed Up

Longhorns Football 2010 Summed Up
OMG - Hands on Head Fan

Beantown Brew

Beantown Brew
Yep, that's my fridge.

One Smart USC Pomgirl

One Smart USC Pomgirl